Air leaks cause HVAC systems to work harder, thereby increasing energy and maintenance costs. Fortunately, it is not difficult to detect air leaks in your home. Visual inspections and building pressurization tests are useful tools when searching for air leaks.
To conduct a visual inspection:
· Look for cracks or gaps where two types of building materials meet, such as corners, sidings and chimneys.
· Inspect all the electrical outlets in the walls and note any cracks or gaps.
· Check window and door frames, tales of demons and gods novel english where air leaks can easily form.
· Inspect gas or electrical service entrances for gaps.
· Attic hatches need to seal properly to prevent air from escaping into the attic.
· Check that window- or wall-mounted air conditioners are properly installed with no gaps or open spaces.
· Lastly, check that all vents and fans are properly sealed.
Building Pressurization Test
To detect air leaks that are not easily spotted, dusk howler light novel conduct a building pressurization test.
· Ensure that all the windows, doors and fireplace flutes are closed.
· Turn off all the combustion appliances such as gas furnaces or water heaters.
· Switch on all the exhaust fans that are blowing air to the outside.
· Light a candle and move it around the edges of any area that you want to check for air leaks. If there is a draft blowing the smoke from the candle into the room, or sucking the air towards the outside, you have an air leak.
Air leaks can be repaired by using caulk for stationary components or by weatherstripping movable components. Sealing air leaks will improve the energy efficiency of your home, and it will improve the quality of the air inside your home.